Today I continued and got it working. I've used it here on vanrees.org, most of the pages were wiki pages, but I didn't really use it's functionality. At least it shows that I trust the tool :-)
You can find the tool via subversion at https://svn.plone.org/svn/collective/zwikiremover/trunk
The main conversion script first generates an in-memory list of documents that must be created. It also converts those links that need to be kept safe from subsequent wiki-formatting of the page. Afterwards the wiki pages are deleted. Then the script iterates through the list and creates the pages using the original filenames.
It does need testing on more diverse zwiki-containing sites, most importantly on a copy of plone.org. I don't know if I've covered every eventuality.
My name is Reinout van Rees and I work a lot with Python (programming language) and Django (website framework). I live in The Netherlands and I'm happily married to Annie van Rees-Kooiman.
Most of my website content is in my weblog. You can keep up to date by subscribing to the automatic feeds (for instance with Google reader):