My (geo)django installation on the customer’s windows 2008 box went way better than I expected. “Mostly smooth” is what I’d call it. My windows experience is a tad rusty after not using windows productively for about 13 years or so. And I ran into all sorts of problems when trying it out locally. So I expected much worse.
Trying everything out beforehand and assembling the right set of packages and killing off all DLL problems helps. See my earlier article about all the weird problems I encountered). It is hard work to find the cause for some obscure DLL problem, but it beats having to debug it when the customer is sitting next to you :-)
The actual installation went without a hitch. Everything installed just fine. I had written down what I had to do beforehand: that paid out in spades. I only saw two serious problems in the end:
.distinct()query. They also cannot be used for indexes or primary keys. Oracle stores them as a “NCLOB” field: some sort of character blob. I fixed the one part in the code where I had a
.distinct(): no, that didn’t help. In the end a “name” field (the most important field in the model) was a TextField instead of a CharField just like all the other models... Ok, that’s a regular bug in our code. And another reminder that all our code needs to be tested: we’d have caught this bug for sure in that case.
In any case: the software installed just fine. And the oracle database connection works just fine. And the customer was happy! And I’m too :-)
My name is Reinout van Rees and I work a lot with Python (programming language) and Django (website framework). I live in The Netherlands and I'm happily married to Annie van Rees-Kooiman.
Most of my website content is in my weblog. You can keep up to date by subscribing to the automatic feeds (for instance with Google reader):