When updating vanrees.org to plone 3.0, I did not yet include an updated layout product. I wanted to do that one from scratch. Last weekend I found the time to have a first go at the layout; today I updated my server. Rough edges here and there, but at least it doesn't look like standard plone. Some random comments:
- Layout product
- For the layout I used the latest ZopeSkel one for paster: the plone3_theme. I did it as a lib/python package instead of a Products/... product. No problems there as I use buildout.
- Following a tip by spliter, I didn't use the stylesheet directory inside browser/, but put it in skins/, just like in the old days. That way I can use dtml, which I like to keep a few variables in check. I dislike having to put #34a7c2 in my css files. I just can't see what color that is. Putting & dtml-secondaryColor; is much more clear in my book. Never mind that there's been a "dtml will be deprecated for css" message for over 4 years or so :-)
- The main_template uses viewlet managers and viewlets now instead of a mountain-like pile of interlocking templates and macros. Much cleaner for the integrator and developer. With the @@manage-viewlets template, the TTW part also functions as a charm. Hiding a viewlet (the personal bar in my case) is just a click away. That's much better than delving deep in those templates and customizing them. A quick click in portal_setup gave me a viewlets.xml to put into my layout package's genericsetup directory, so my TTW and my filesystem bits rejoiced in unison.
- Next steps
- I'm sure I've messed up the lists somehow. Gotta fix that. And I want something extra in the header: that'll be a custom viewlet. And I want to add some viewlet love to quills' (the weblog) templates. Last night I fixed up the regular template so that in-place editing works on a single weblog entry. More to come!
Tags: plone quills