IE+https download problemΒΆ

Tags: plone

I had to debug a weirdo IE download problem today. Clicking on a pdf, word or powerpoint link wouldn't do a thing. Right-clicking and saving the file gave a weird error message that IE couldn't "save the file to the cache". What?

I remembered having the same problem more than a year ago, but I couldn't remember the exact fix as I had a lot of small issues to solve at the same time on that older site.

In the end I found the problem . A combination of specific IE versions plus the use of https plus the presence of a Cache-control:no-cache header. You just can't make this sort of stuff up.

In my Plone site I solved it by tweaking my CacheFu cache config a bit:

  • I added a separate header set with most of the cache headers off, especially the no-cache one.
  • I attached that header set to my "Files" rule. Tadaah, problem solved.

Adding this to my own blog should help in remembering it next time :-)

(Old imported comments)
"stupid IE" by RNunez on 2007-05-16 15:28:37
I was having a similar problem with IE 6, I had to temporarily disable the Resolve UID (IE cached the URL instead of the file), but Im going to try your approach. Thanks
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
vanrees.org logo

About me

My name is Reinout van Rees and I work a lot with Python (programming language) and Django (website framework). I live in The Netherlands and I'm happily married to Annie van Rees-Kooiman.

Weblog feeds

Most of my website content is in my weblog. You can keep up to date by subscribing to the automatic feeds (for instance with Google reader):